Aichi Prefecture will accept up to 1 million tons of rubble from earthquake and tsunami-ravaged areas of northeastern Japan.
Aichi is one of 35 prefectures that responded to a central government request by April 6 to accept debris from the Tohoku region.
Aichi's decision came 13 months after the magnitude-9.0 Great East Japan Earthquake.
The central government is seeking to secure agreements from prefectural authorities across Japan to accept some 4 million tons of wreckage from Iwate and Miyagi prefectures.
The government on March 16 sent letters in Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda's name to 35 prefectures and 10 major cities that had yet to make clear whether they would accept rubble.
In asking for their cooperation, the letters set April 6 as the deadline for a response.
More areas are leaning to helping out, while some are determined not to take part.
In Kyoto Prefecture, five cities and towns, including Maizuru, said they are considering the government's request.
Sapporo rejected the request on grounds the central government is unable to offer guarantees that radiation levels are safe.
Tokushima Prefecture said no municipalities under its jurisdiction intend to accept rubble. It criticized the government for not offering a sufficient explanation.
The government late last month asked eight prefectures and eight major cities that had indicated a willingness to dispose of debris to accept 910,000 tons of rubble.
Tokyo already plans to dispose of 500,000 tons.
- « Prev
- Next »